Newsletter # 23 -- Dec. 4, 2018
About Moving Beyond Intractability Newsletters
Important information about the Newsletters, sign-up procedures, and strategies for overcoming possible delivery problems is found at the end of this Newsletter. Also available are past newsletters: 9, #10, #11, #12 , #13, #14, #15, #16, #17 , #18, #19 , #20, #21, #22 and the 2017 Newsletter Archive.
Introduction to This Newsletter
It has been about a month since we last posted new Conflict Frontiers posts, so we haven't sent out a newsletter since then. However, we have been sending out BI-in-Context posts almost every day, so there were far too many to post in the Dec. 5 newsletter. In order to not lose track of any that were posted, however, we include them here in a newsletter that is only available on the website; it is not being sent out.
The BI in Context posts that have gone out in between mailed Newsletters #22 and #24 are:
- Welcome news that higher education is starting to think seriously about what it must do to regain the public trust. --‘Regaining Public Trust’ -- 11/16/2018
- From Foreign Affairs, the thoughtful exploration of what it will really take to combat the downsides of globalizati -- How to Save Globalization -- 11/16/2018
- A profile of exemplary leaders and how they responded to the tragedy at Pittsburgh's Tree of Life Synagogue. -- We Have Leaders, If you Know Where To Look For Them -- 11/15/2018
- Part of the solution: understanding the complex psychology and neuroscience underlying hate, anger, and rage. -- The Neuroscience of Hate Speech -- 11/15/2018
- A reminder that the left bears a good bit of the responsibility for the destructiveness of today's political confro -- Our descent into vitriol began long before Trump -- 11/14/2018
- More insight into the fear that underlies hate and what it takes to walk away from both. -- Former white supremacist: The fear behind the hate -- 11/14/2018
- From the co-founder of the Solutions Journalism Network advice on how to promote civility. -- Recovering the (Lost) Art of Civility -- 11/13/2018
- Solutions Journalism –- a great resource for people trying to fix problems rather than just complain about them. --Solutions Journalism -- 11/13/2018
- A World War II "Why We Fight" documentary explaining the rise of fascism with much to say about politics today. --Why We Fight -- 11/12/2018
- From Foreign Policy, a look at Brazil's alarming new President and a reminder that the problems we face are global. --It’s Not Just the Right That’s Voting for Bolsonaro. It’s Everyone. -- 11/10/2018
- A fascinating (but heavy and academic) look at the evolution of society (& gender) from a Darwinian perspective. --Why Sex Matters: A Darwinian Approach -- 11/09/2018
- For those who have been intrigued by the many promises of "block chain," an informative dose of reality. -- The Big Blockchain Lie -- 11/09/2018
- At a time when campaigns are focused on "mobilizing the base," a look at how to appeal to persuadable moderates. --How to Win Swing Voters (and How to Lose Them) -- 11/08/2018
- Have political dirty tricks changed the course of history? The astonishing story of Gary Hart. How can we prevent t --Was Gary Hart Set Up? -- 11/08/2018
- From a Nobel prize-winning economist, a detailed explanation of what's wrong with the US economy (including great c-- The American Economy Is Rigged -- 11/07/2018
- An exploration of what Democrats could have, but did not do to help heal our political system. -- The Materialist Party --11/07/2018
- A sobering reminder that we have to do a better job of cultivating and defending quality news sources. -- Trump’s Attacks on the News Media Are Working -- 11/06/2018
- From a progressive, a plea for a principled conservative party that will hold progressives accountable. -- Desperately Seeking Principled Republicans -- 11/06/2018
- An especially informative exploration of the multi-faceted nature of the US political divide. -- Hidden Tribes: A Study Of America's Polarized Landscape -- 11/05/2018
- An especially illuminating exploration of what is exceptional about President Trump's incendiary rhetoric. -- How Trump's Psychology Of Hate Unleashed The MAGABomber -- 11/05/2018
- An exploration of a kind of constructive nationalism--one that is worth defending. -- Yes, I’m an American Nationalist --11/03/2018
- From Thomas Edsall, a well-documented look at the current state of the gender war (with lots of great links). -- The Gender War, 2018 Edition -- 11/03/2018
- More horrifying detail on the threat of 21st-century authoritarianism and China's suppression of the Uighurs. -- China’s Nightmare Homestay -- 11/02/2018
- An especially clear exploration of the fear-based, divide-and-conquer tactics being used by the plutocratic class. --Fear, hope and the midterms -- 11/02/2018
BI Newsletters - General Announcements
Every two weeks or so, we will compile posts from the Frontiers Seminar, the Fundamentals Seminar, the Things Everyone Can Do to Help Blog, and the Beyond Intractability in Context Blog into a Newsletter that will be posted here and sent out by email to subscribers. You can sign up to receive your copy on our Newsletter Sign Up Page and find the latest newsletter as well as all past newsletters here on our Newsletter page.
NOTE! If you signed up for this Newsletter and don't see it in your inbox, it might be going to one of your other emails folder (such as promotions, social, or spam). Check there or search for firstname.lastname@example.org, and if you still can't find it, please contact us.