We ask educators who use Beyond Intractability as a major part of their courses or training programs to ask their students / trainees to donate roughly half of the cost of a comparable textbook. (For example, we ask our students to donate $5-$30 depending upon the amount of material used.) More information is available on our Using BI as a Textbook page.
Knowledge base resources are available for general use in accordance with the following principles. Our goal is to create an open-source version of the field's principal ideas.
- Anyone can freely link to any knowledge base resource.
- The materials may not be sold for profit, though they can be used in training materials that are sold as part of a fee-for-service training program. (A royalty fee may apply. Please submit an inquiry.)
- Anyone may quote knowledge base resources. However, quoted sections must be presented in their original form, and they must be clearly cited.
- Short quotations that fall within the standard, "fair use" guidelines are, of course, acceptable.
- For all other uses, a royalty fee may apply. Please submit an inquiry.