Guy Burgess and Heidi Burgess
Co-Directors, Beyond Intractability Project, Conflict Information Consortium
The Initiative has emerged from Beyond Intractability's (BI) 25-year inquiry into the nature of intractable conflict and associated dangers. The BI Knowledge Base and the newer, Moving Beyond Intractability's growing collection of learning materials provides a starting point for the Initiative and what we see as a realistic strategy for addressing the problem of destructive intractable conflicts. Available Initiative-related materials include:
- Annotated Full Initiative Statement highlighting related BI learning materials,
- Conflict Frontiers Online Seminar exploring new approaches for addressing difficult and intractable conflicts.
- Major topic areas include: Scale, Complexity, & Intractability, Massively Parallel Peacebuilding, Authoritarian Populism, and Constructive Confrontation
- Moving Beyond Intractability Action List This list illustrates and briefly explains steps that need to be taken to address each of the ten challenges listed in the Constructive Conflict Initiative materials. This action list is also available in a Titles-Only Version and a printable Poster.
- Colleague Activity Blog with information about interesting conflict and peacebuilding efforts. This blog will be highlighting activities and publications we have learned about from the respondents to the Initiative questionnaire.
- The Things YOU Can Do to Help Blog highlights things everyone--not just powerful people, not just important or rich people--but everyone of us --can do to help limit the dynamics that lead to destructive and intractable conflicts
- Things YOU Can Do Infographics These printable infographics each list things everyone can do to avoid or defuse destructive conflicts. They are free to use for non-commercial purposes, with attribution and without changes.
- Beyond Intractability in Context Blog with links to thought-provoking articles exploring the larger, societal dimension of intractability.