Newsletter # 15 -- May 20, 2018
About Moving Beyond Intractability Newsletters
Important information about the Newsletters, sign-up procedures, and strategies for overcoming possible delivery problems is found at the end of this Newsletter. Also available are past newsletters: 9, #10, #11, #12 , #13, #14 and the 2017 Newsletter Archive.
We haven't been adding very many new posts over the last few weeks as we've been traveling, but there are still a lot of BI in Context Posts to share and a few Conflict Fundamentals posts. We hope to start posting new posts in the other seminars and blogs soon.
Things YOU Can Do To Help Blog
- No new posts since last newsletter.
Conflict Frontiers Seminar
- No new posts since last newsletter
Conflict Fundamentals Seminar
- Cognitive Dissonance -- This essay explores the dual nature of cognitive dissonance and how it can be utilized for constructive outcomes. -- May 10, 2018
- Interpersonal Communication -- An introductory essay to our section on conflict communication. -- May 11, 2018
- Misunderstandings -- A look at one of the most prevalent conflict communication problems. -- May 14, 2018
- Channels of Communication -- Another common communication problem in conflicts is no communication at all--but rapidly escalating assumptions and fears about the other. -- May 15, 2018
Beyond Intractability in Context Blog
- "Study: Most Americans want to kill 'Citizens United' with constitutional amendment!" Time for real bipartisanship? --Study: Most Americans want to kill ‘Citizens United’ with constitutional amendment -- 05/20/2018
- Going beyond superficial opinion polls, a long-term exploration of the changing views of Trump Democrats. -- Loyalty, unease in Trump’s Midwest -- 05/19/2018
- An argument for evidence-based policymaking and a look at how politics is, in surprising ways, undermining its purs --Scott Pruitt Proposal -- 05/19/2018
- An exploration of the dangers of "America's Iraq War Amnesia" in light of the Iranian nuclear and conventional thre --Iran Hawks Are the New Iraq Hawks -- 05/18/2018
- Interesting fact: "partisanship increases with education" & question, "Will liberal elites really support redistrib -- Which Side Are You On? -- 05/18/2018
- "Meet the Renegades of the Intellectual Dark Web" Should discussion of today's big controversies be forced undergro -- Meet the Renegades of the Intellectual Dark Web -- 05/17/2018
- From Brookings, an important appeal for revitalizing civic education and teaching students how to make democracy wo-- From a nation at risk to a democracy at risk: Educating students for democratic renewal -- 05/17/2018
- Asking the big question about the goals of public policy, should we pursue "the Greatest Good for the Greatest Numb --Does the Philosophy of “the Greatest Good for the Greatest Number” Have Any Merit? -- 05/16/2018
- The right to be forgotten? Is it a boon to privacy or a mechanism through which authoritarians can rewrite history? --When 2 + 2 Might Equal 5 -- 05/16/2018
- A reminder that there are new, serious security threats that we have to come together to address: "The New Killer P --The New Killer Pathogens -- 05/15/2018
- In a world where so many people are trying to get even for past injustices, an explanation of the benefits of forgi -- The Forgiveness Boost -- 05/15/2018
- A persuasive appeal for focusing less on the Trump scandals and more on the problems that aren't getting solved. --Our Addiction to Trump -- 05/14/2018
- Starting with an acknowledgment of past foreign policy shortcomings, a serious proposal for a better approach. -- Time for a New U.S. Foreign Policy Narrative -- 05/14/2018
- Facebook's dump of Russian influence operation ads tells us more about how they are trying to engineer our conflict --Cybersecurity 202 and the Sophistication of Russia's Influence Operation -- 05/14/2018
- From Pew, stunning statistics on the gap between the democracy that Americans aspire to and the democracy that Amer -- Democracy in America: Ideals vs. reality -- 05/09/2018
BI Newsletters and General Announcements
Every week or so, we will compile posts from the Frontiers Seminar, the Fundamentals Seminar, the Things Everyone Can Do to Help Blog, and the Beyond Intractability in Context Blog into a Newsletter that will be posted here and sent out by email to subscribers. You can sign up to receive your copy on our Newsletter Sign Up Page and find the latest newsletter as well as all past newsletters here on our Newsletter page.
NOTE! If you signed up for this Newsletter and don't see it in your inbox, it might be going to one of your other emails folder (such as promotions, social, or spam). Check there or search for firstname.lastname@example.org, and if you still can't find it, please contact us.